[NTHW] Gaming Discussions > Console Gaming

PS4 Announced by Sony

(1/7) > >>

Stormpr00ter:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21526450

Looks like it's essentially a PC in a box with PS controllers.

Probably good news for PC games development as there will be very little needing to be dumbed-down for porting between platforms.

Depends on what Microsoft bring with their next-gen console.

Stu038:
Hmm still not natively backwards compatible allowing for all the quiet re-releases a couple of months after launch, a 32 bit AMD processor and an undefined AMD gfx chip.

They're not convincing me that's any thing like a supercharged PC.

But if it reduces the current impact on developing games for PCs then that's got to be a good thing and if they want to try to emulate us by referring to themselves as a supercharged PC then again that can only be a positive, after all envy is a terrible thing :D

Stormpr00ter:

--- Quote from: Stu038 on 21 February 2013, 12:58: PM ---Hmm still not natively backwards compatible allowing for all the quiet re-releases a couple of months after launch, a 32 bit AMD processor and an undefined AMD gfx chip.

They're not convincing me that's any thing like a supercharged PC.

--- End quote ---

Depends on how many cores and what the instruction cache sizes will be, and the operating frequencies - and of course the GPUs. I don't think there is much power to be gained from going 64 bit as opposed to 32 bit - from what I remember of CPU architecture the number of bits basically increases the number of possible instructions available and increases the native addressing range - they may do cleverer stuff these days by combining instructions (operators) with data (operands) all in one go, and I can see that improving performance - but dunno - I haven't looked at CPU architecture since the old Intel 80286.

--- Quote from: Stu038 on 21 February 2013, 12:58: PM ---But if it reduces the current impact on developing games for PCs then that's got to be a good thing and if they want to try to emulate us by referring to themselves as a supercharged PC then again that can only be a positive, after all envy is a terrible thing :D

--- End quote ---

We can only hope it helps improve the games we get on PC.

zingle:
they may well do the same sort of thing, Intel and Nvidia maybe we will see a resurgence  in pc gaming I bloody hope so

zingle:
Just because it says it is X86 does not mean it is 32 bit. X86 refers to the Architecture it become synonymous with 32 bit that was the limit at the time . It still most likely is capable of 64 bit instruction sets

remember the 286? this was only 16 bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version