naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: User Profile Backup - Call of Duty 4  (Read 2748 times)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
User Profile Backup - Call of Duty 4
« on: 03 February 2013, 03:19: PM »
Every time something screws with my PC, inevitably I loose my CoD 4 user profile stuff, when I wipe and reinstall.  I end up googling the net to find where it's saved.  It's not like many modern games that put anything importants in the cloud.  So, in the hope of saving myself, and perhaps others, a bit of future anguish.

Windows 7

The ususal location for your files is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles\playername\

"mpdata" is the critical one as this holds your user rank stuff.  "config_mp.cfg" hopefully tells your game how you like things set up.

Obviously if your game is installed to a different folder, such as with steam, the profile can be buried in a similar path through there.

There is an alternative possibility, which seems more common for users of Windows Vista, of C:\Users\yourwindowsuseraccountname\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files(x86)\Activision/Call of Duty - Modern Warfare\players\profiles\playername\

Note to see the files, you may need to turn on hidden files and folders.

uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Stu038

• [NTHW] In Memoriam
Re: User Profile Backup - Call of Duty 4
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2013, 05:25: PM »
Thing to remember folks is that you can't just put those files into the directory, you need to start the newly installed game first and set up a user with the same name.

Then you copy your backed up files over the newly created ones ;)
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
Re: User Profile Backup - Call of Duty 4
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2013, 07:51: PM »
Thing to remember folks is that you can't just put those files into the directory, you need to start the newly installed game first and set up a user with the same name.

Then you copy your backed up files over the newly created ones ;)

So that's where I went wrong, hey ho, I ranked up again the hard way, alls good :)