naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: PC Upgrade Time  (Read 1420 times)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Re: PC Upgrade Time
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2021, 06:30: PM »
Thanks Damien.  I think you've been consistent in recommendations of that Gigabyte motherboard and the RAM :)
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2021, 07:28: AM »
Yep although I don't have it myself, I used it in Paul's PC and his has been rock solid with lower Vcore etc than the one myself and Rammy have.

That ram also you just set the XMP or what ever it's called in the Bios and it runs at it's rated speed without issue.

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2021, 12:03: PM »
If only the did Klarna lol it would be on like Donkey Kong 😀

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #23 on: 16 June 2021, 08:33: PM »
So I've pressed the button.

5900X seems to be dropping price wise now, plenty off offers comfortably under the £500 mark, OCuK are at £479.99 Scan wanted £489.99 but that also gave free delivery next day on the rest of the basket and somehow they are almost £50 cheaper on the RAM than OcUK and £20 cheaper on the motherboard.  So effectively this is a £840 upgrade as I'll reuse the cooler (which might be the weak link), PSU, Case, SSDs and GPU.  That will give me something to do at the weekend when I'm not out in the van.

Interesting challenge will be to get Windows to port to the new motherboard / CPU combo without upsetting Microsoft.

Offline Dutchie

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2021, 11:35: PM »
Just install it mgp sign in delete your old pc and all is well for ms didn't have any issues when I done it last year

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #25 on: 19 June 2021, 05:08: PM »
Looks like Micro$oft are going to be stinging me for a new Windoze licence :(  Whatever I do it's rejecting activation

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #26 on: 19 June 2021, 05:20: PM »
Anytime I've had that issue, I've phoned up the activation line and activated windows that way, never any problems afterwards

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #27 on: 19 June 2021, 05:34: PM »
I've found a different key which works.

Not sure but the error generated suggested the licence I was using was some sort of general code, perhaps a previous upgrade from Win 7 had changed it ???  Anyhow looking up the error code being spat out gave a number of websites that had the key I was using as some sort of Microsoft Default

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #28 on: 19 June 2021, 07:48: PM »
Had that problem with Paul's PC the other month when he called me panicking because his pc needed a reload.

The Key he had was a "Demo" key and it wouldn't activate.

I ended up installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Enterprise and logged him in to his Microsoft Account and hey presto activated straight away.

That is the only good thing about the Microsoft Account, the rest is a pain in the ass which is why I don't use it.

Never had trouble though installing and activating Windows 10, when it get's to the part where it ask's for the Key I just choose the option for "I Don't Have A Key" and it install's, then hey presto when I get in to Windows it's activated  :D

Just remember to install the AMD Chipset Drivers!

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #29 on: 20 June 2021, 01:33: PM »
I was attached to the Microsoft account but it was still rejecting it.  M$ was seeing the old PC motherboard & CPU and refused to link the new MB / CPU combo.  I've read somewhere that when you upgrade a Wind 7 licence to some versions of 10 then there may be limits on how many transfers are possible.  I suspect the licence I was using had evolved from an ancient i7 2600K based PC ....

But fortunately I have another windows 7 Ultimate Key scribbled down (no idea where from any windows install disks have long since been thrown out).  That seems to have worked and been accepted against the M$ account as a Win 10 Pro digital licence.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #30 on: 20 June 2021, 05:22: PM »
Arghhh :mad:

I suspect the WD Blue 2TB M2 type SSD I bought a couple of months ago is faulty.

PC had a number of mysterious hangs this afternoon, whilst I've been gradually re-installing stuff.  Then it blue screened.  Reboots then get the dreaded blue screen "boot device error".  PC hangs and eventually get back to the BIOS that wants to go back to it's defaults (but they were on defaults anyway as I have no need to attempt overclock).  After a number of rinse repeat eventually I can get to the windows advanced options that eventually allows a repair function - repair function puts you back to the default windows.  Even loses the link to the Microsoft Account needing passwords and crap, but hey at least it's licenced.  But everything installed is going to need reinstallation.

But I've been having a few unexplained freezes and crashes requiring a hard reboot with the previous setup, since I added the WD Blue SSD on the older motherboard / CPU.  And a couple of those had been blue screens needing some rebooting via BIOS, but at least I hadn't lost all the settings and installed stuff in the process.  I thought it would be the old motherboard given the number of times I had to replace the CMOS battery, but the commonality with the current setup is the WD SSD, the GPU and PSU.  GPU and PSU I'd had for a while without isues, so I favour the SSD as problematic.

Question is how to test and prove the SSD is an issue if I'm going to try and get it RMA'd?  The WD dashboard app thing says the SSD is fine.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #31 on: 21 June 2021, 06:14: AM »
Have you tried the pc without it to see if it does the same thing?

Personally I would just RMA it, if the PC run's fine without it and considering you say on the old setup you were getting the same issues.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #32 on: 21 June 2021, 08:24: AM »
Yep if it continues to play up I'll have to experiment temporarily with using an ancient SATA SSD as the prime drive and go from there.

I have noted on the spec list for the Gigabyte X570 Aurus Elite that the 2TB WD Blue M2 PCIe 3 SSD isn't listed in the compatibility list (the 1TB version is).  That may simply be that when the board was made the 2TB version didn't exist, or perhaps there is an issue due to the drive's capacity.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #33 on: 21 June 2021, 03:19: PM »
I wouldn't worry to much about the SSD on the Compat list, typically unless there is something specific about the drive then they will work without issue.

Throw a Sata SSD in it, load windows on to it etc and see how it goes doing the same type of things you would on the NVME and then if it still crashes then you need to look at other things that could be causing it, if it doesn't then you know it's the NVME.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #34 on: 21 June 2021, 03:33: PM »
As I have more money than sense - OK I don't have money, I have a mahoosive credit limit - I might do the Amazon Prime Day thing.  Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4 M2 at £142.49 :)

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #35 on: 21 June 2021, 03:35: PM »
That is the one I am using now, it's quite nice.

Offline Dutchie

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #36 on: 21 June 2021, 08:02: PM »
I've found a different key which works.

Not sure but the error generated suggested the licence I was using was some sort of general code, perhaps a previous upgrade from Win 7 had changed it ???  Anyhow looking up the error code being spat out gave a number of websites that had the key I was using as some sort of Microsoft Default
Could have been 1 of my old MSDN keys you might have used still in that case MGP :O

Offline zingle

« Reply #37 on: 30 June 2021, 05:06: PM »
Anyone coming to me for gaming computers with decent graphics cards are getting sent to places like AWD as they configure systems with decent graphics without the full on Scan.Overclockers scalping unit ripping you off

Offline zingle

« Reply #38 on: 11 July 2021, 07:06: PM »
Palicomp have a nice i9 10900K system in stock with a nice RTX 3090 for the poultry sum of £2900 for those a lot richer than me lol lol

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #39 on: 12 July 2021, 04:26: PM »
I am still waiting for the next series of card's at the moment.

Possibly upgrading my CPU etc at some point over the next few months though but that is more because my Dad need's a CPU upgrade, so I might as well upgrade to the 5950x and let him have my 3950x.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal