naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Going to the Dark Side  (Read 412 times)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Going to the Dark Side
« on: 29 June 2020, 06:47: PM »
Placed an order for Sky TV & Broadband  :shocking:

I've been with Virgin Media - was NTL, was Cable & Wireless, was Nynex - ever since I moved in here, 1997.  But they have become too pricey.

Last straw is I got an email a few days ago warning my current "deal" was coming to an end, and would go up to about £90 pcm.  But it had an offer buried at the bottom that would allow me to get a service for about £67pcm (200 broadband, "maxit" TV).  That price excluded the second V+ box I have but I was already looking to drop that as I hoped to do a workaround with the Fire TV stick and sideloading the VM app.  Phone today and they've just reviewed pricing so offer not available, cheapest they can now do for my package is about £78pcm, and it would be even more to keep the second V+ box.

By the power of the internet, I could see Sky can offer TV with a full range of HD channels including Netflix and Sky Atlantic (both of which I would watch, but haven't got with Virgin, indeed not being able to get Atlantic on VM has always been annoying since so much "premium" stuff goes on that channel - yes I know Sky want to charge VM stupid money for it).  It excludes sport or movies (but don't have those on Virgin either and don't want - I've yet to watch BT sports on VM), Ultrafast 1 broadband (140 ish down, 27up - upload is better than Virgin, download slower, unlimited use with no throttling), phone has evening and weekend calls included (weekend only on Virgin).  About £20 one off installation costs.

So I lose a bit on download speed - I doubt I will massively notice, especially as only me doing internet stuff and that is more than fast enough for streaming and stuff whilst I get slightly faster upload.  TV package is definitely better.  Phone is a "wifi" so VOIP based system.  I'll also have only a single TV box, but hope that I can sideload onto the Fire stick the Sky Go app so can still do some stuff on the bedroom TV.

The real concerns - I'll have to move all my email addresses from the VM platform.  I don't really want a satellite dish on the front of the house, but never mind.  Sky don't seem to be showing any added charges for the fact that I don't have a satellite dish, nor a BT Openreach type phone line to the house. 

I don't understand how Virgin have managed to get so uncompetitive on pricing.  When I looked at this 18 months or so ago, VM were a bit more pricey than Sky, but won out as at that time the BT Openreach broadband was only their standard "infinity" services.  I don't need to pay for the headline grabbing 500mbps speeds.  Perhaps VM need to unbundle BT Sports from their TV package so that the basic TV can compare across the platforms?

Provisional install dates are end of July.  I suspect there are going to be a few fun and games to get the wiring fitted, especially with some of the current Covid-19 issues. Then I'll find out if I've done the right thing.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
Re: Going to the Dark Side
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2020, 08:04: AM »
May the force be with you ;) seriously though, hope it all goes well.

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2020, 09:24: PM »
I'm with BT which includes Netflix,Amazon Prime and Now TV as part of their system. If you purchase the Now TV entertainment package  (£10 per month) that gives you 10 Sky channels including Atlantic.

I have the the Fibre 1 package which is 50Mb up and 9Mb down - which is £28 per month which include line rental, but down not include any call plan on the landline (which does not matter since we very rarely make out going calls)

The only upgrade is to 73Mbs up and 18Mb down for an extra £8 per month, but i've never needed to do so

They are offering 'full fibre' if you live in the right postcode, speeds of upto 900Mb, no idea on pricing

No idea if this helps MGP, but it would mean no dish outside the house

IMPz
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020, 09:26: PM by IMPz »

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2020, 10:48: PM »
Thanks IMPz.  I did look at BT, TalkTalk.  Despite the satellite dish, at the moment, for the overall package, Sky do work out a few pounds a month cheaper. 

There are pros and cons for everything.  Sky would be a silly price if I add a second TV box, as their £14 pcm charge for a Q mini is extortionate - Virgin £7 for the standard V+ box, BT only want £5.

It may only be me, but I can hammer my broadband at times, and during lockdown upload speed has been quite important for work and stuff so I do still want something that offers a good alround up and down speed so desire the upper Openreach offerings now those are available.  Somehow Sky apply a better discount on their broadband than BT currently offer.  Installation costs re also a bit heavier with BT, especially as they say I need a TV arial (no doubt for the Freeview channels) and I know the wiring to my arial is long since perished.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2020, 09:04: PM »
Stage 1 complete - Sky broadband is up and running.

Don't think the BT Openreach chap was that impressed.  I'm sure it really should have been a 2 handed job to get the new line from the street pole, onto new fixings onto the front of the house, down it and then inside.  I did make it a tad easier by pulling floorboards so the wire could come in through an existing hole, but that only saved 5 minutes, of his 3 hour process.

Getting about 145Mbps down and 28Mbps up (the latter is better than VM and the former about 3/4 of VM's Voom 200 - but hey I'm going to save money and I really doubt I'm going to know much about that drop in download).

Phone will become a VOIP thing - bit wierd that the standard phone plugs into the Sky hub thing.  Not sure when that switches.

TV gets installed next week.

VM wanted their pound of flesh and 30 days notice to cut off so that goes, 4th August.  Theiving bastards are still trying to charge me for the next complete montly billing period (they bill in advance) rather than reducing that for the last bit of the month.  I feel an argument coming on and sudden cancellation of the DD mandate.  Why should I pay out and then have to wait for who knows how long for it to be refunded?

Offline Dutchie

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2020, 03:30: PM »
yeah nice bit of customer loyalty there eh MGP... I had a nice fight with them when I moved to Holland as I was still mid contract according to them to which I said I been a loyal customer for 15 years and nearly said when they wanted me to pay the remaining contract to go forth and multiply

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2020, 06:06: PM »
Stage 1 complete - Sky broadband is up and running.

Don't think the BT Openreach chap was that impressed.  I'm sure it really should have been a 2 handed job to get the new line from the street pole, onto new fixings onto the front of the house, down it and then inside.  I did make it a tad easier by pulling floorboards so the wire could come in through an existing hole, but that only saved 5 minutes, of his 3 hour process.

Getting about 145Mbps down and 28Mbps up (the latter is better than VM and the former about 3/4 of VM's Voom 200 - but hey I'm going to save money and I really doubt I'm going to know much about that drop in download).

Phone will become a VOIP thing - bit wierd that the standard phone plugs into the Sky hub thing.  Not sure when that switches.

TV gets installed next week.

VM wanted their pound of flesh and 30 days notice to cut off so that goes, 4th August.  Theiving bastards are still trying to charge me for the next complete montly billing period (they bill in advance) rather than reducing that for the last bit of the month.  I feel an argument coming on and sudden cancellation of the DD mandate.  Why should I pay out and then have to wait for who knows how long for it to be refunded?

Give them a call and see what they can do, I know when I cancelled my VM Mobile I had to pay the following months bill but it was refunded within 2 weeks, and it was all down to billing schedule.

yeah nice bit of customer loyalty there eh MGP... I had a nice fight with them when I moved to Holland as I was still mid contract according to them to which I said I been a loyal customer for 15 years and nearly said when they wanted me to pay the remaining contract to go forth and multiply

That would be the typical request of any company though, regardless of how long you have been with them although some not all but some would do a loyalty discount but those companies are few and far between.

I have been using EE since they were Orange, basically my first contract phone was with them when I turned 18 and I am now 34 so that 16 years I have been with them.

If I was to call up now to cancel my contract, I would be charged the remainder of the contract that is just the way it is as they are legally allowed to do it.

We all may not like it and not want to do it but it's something we have deal with because it's in the Contract T&C's and they can legally enforce it because you are supposed to read them, which most people don't.

Yes Virgin are a PITA at times when you have to speak to them but so are most companies, it's not exclusive to them or any other company.

MGP would find the same if say in 5 or 6 months time, he wanted to go back to Virgin when he phoned Sky and BT to get everything cancelled he would be hit with a fee for probably the remainder of the contract.

Personally I don't think people should be charged for the remainder of TV, BB and Landline if they want to cancel early because it's not like they are getting anything for that money, that's why now I just wait till the contract is up and then leave saves me paying out more money than I need to.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2020, 07:04: PM »
I have no problem in paying up to the termination date of my contract.  I object to paying beyond the termination date.  I have given the required 30 days notice, and that has been accepted.  So the final bill should be auto adjusted to reflect the reduced final advance period.

VM could have set their contract so that notice runs only on their billing period (would probably be unreasonable to do so, but that's a different argument).  They don't.  At the simplest level they are not entitled to charge for something that they won't be providing.

If I incur usage charges during the run off period, I do expect those to be billed.

Oh and as a separate issue to show how stupid they really are on retentions, a couple of days after I'd given notice, I got a phone call from some chap wanting to know if he could persuade me to stay, with the reduced services I'd want (V6 box full channels no sport / movies, V200 internet) and said I could get it for something like £48 pcm.  Too late, I'd already placed contract with Sky.  Moral of that story, if you want to retain customers, offer a decent price first time round, not after the event.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2020, 02:14: PM »
So the TV install was a fail :(  The dish installer wasn't flat roof trained - he can go up a long ladder, but not walk on a roof.  So that is now deferred to mid September!  I'm going to get used to watching a lot of stuff via iplayer and that sort of thing (don't have a working roof aerial for freeview).  Who knows by the time the revised install comes around, I might even have been weaned off live TV?

You'd think they would ask a few questions when you place an order so they might work out who needed to attend, perhaps even ask you to send a photo of the front / rear of the house?  But no doubt it is cheaper just to annoy people and send the van round on the off chance.

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2020, 06:06: PM »
A case of the grass isn't always greener, re freeview  aerial , I just bought a £8 cheapo from the diy, it worked fine.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Semi retired :)
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2020, 01:24: PM »
"The dish installer wasn't flat roof trained "   :rofl:
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline Su1c1dal

• [NTHW] Retired List
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2020, 11:35: AM »
A case of the grass isn't always greener, re freeview  aerial , I just bought a £8 cheapo from the diy, it worked fine.

since i changed never had any real issues..........been very ronseal, and when i did it wasn't a lottery as to which week they could get out. and it may just be me, but to me the online portal seems so much less rigid than vm's last time i used it - but simple things please simple people.

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2020, 09:52: PM »
Don't use any of them, Vigin not available in my area, Sky is just re-using BT infrastrcuture. So I go with BT Inifinty, Freeview for TV and illegal download for everything else.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal