naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: New build question  (Read 6669 times)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Re: New build question
« Reply #20 on: 20 March 2020, 06:26: PM »
Arse :(

:rofl:

Sorry in these times, any small cause for amusement must be appreciated.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Semi retired :)
« Reply #21 on: 20 March 2020, 06:43: PM »
Arse :(

:rofl:

Sorry in these times, any small cause for amusement must be appreciated.
:D Happy to help :)
I suspect/hope that the pound/dollar will recover fairly quickly so I can splurge sometime in April :D
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #22 on: 20 March 2020, 07:18: PM »
Well the pc that I put the image to above, has gone up by £100.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #24 on: 20 April 2020, 07:01: AM »
Ok so the ram you don't need 4400Mhz, it offers little to no extra performance for purely gaming and can be difficult to get running at that speed.

You will be perfectly fine with 3600Mhz, and you would be best getting a 2x 16Gb kit rather than 4x 8Gb kit unless the ram stick's are single ranked in which case then 4x 8Gb would be better than 2x 16Gb.

Unless you are doing something else than gaming, occasional video/photo work you would be fine with 2x 16Gb 3600Mhz.

The board is fine it's the same one I have got, but if you have 2x monitors then you need to make sure you change the Bios type from "CSM" to "UEFI".

PSU wise 1200w is overkill massively overkill.

I am running a 850w PSU with a 3950x, 2080Ti, 360mm AIO, 1Tb SSD, 6 fans, it would be fine to add hdd's and more fans etc etc.

GPU wise it's up to you but I wouldn't go with the ASUS card because it doesn't offer more performance than the MSI Gaming X Trio and the Trio is £100 cheaper and that £100 could be used for a 1TB NVME SSD.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #25 on: 20 April 2020, 08:04: AM »
Ramrod tends to keep his kit for a number of years yet Damien has probably rebuilt twice in that period.  On that basis, for headroom and longevity even though it may not be used now would you change to 32 rather than 16GN RAM and as the other thread, perhaps the ryzen 9 is a good option?

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #26 on: 20 April 2020, 09:32: AM »
Oh MGP is it to early for you  :D

All the Ram options I mentioned were 32Gb, since most games these days are using up to 16Gb.

Going to a 16 Core will be overkill for probably a good 4 years, and going beyond that really wouldn't do anything other than cost more and be wasted.

To give you an idea I have recently started playing Elite again, and when running it cranked up at 1440p with max detail the 3950x is only being used to 15% max, and Destiny 2 uses about 20% to 40%, The Division 2 which is a CPU intensive game still only uses up 50% max.

This is the first CPU upgrade I have done in about 5 years, but I won't NEED to do one for probably 5+ years but will end up doing one probably in about 3 years.

The GPU is where the upgrade in performance comes from, going from my 7700K to the 3950X has given around a 2% to 5% upgrade in terms of gaming performance, but in other stuff it's a much bigger increase.

Basically anything 4 core 8 thread at the moment is still perfectly fine but within the next 2 years will start to struggle and a 8 core 16 thread will be the best choice to have.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #27 on: 20 April 2020, 10:04: AM »
Yes it was early :)

How much of the graphics performance improvement is actually the CPU, or is it the better motherboard and it's chipset allowing greater bandwidth between CPU / RAM and  GPU?

I'm not doing enough gaming at the moment to justify any upgrade on my PC from it's 2015 base (i7-5820K, 16GB RAM, 980Ti GPU), especially looking at current prices of decent kit.  But I'm also aware that at approaching 5 years old, it's risking that something is going to expire, especially when I used to run the PC and GPU at 100% load 24/7 when I was doing all the distributed computing stuff (CPU thread cores were important but energy bills were horrendous).  I'm going to have some interesting choices to make when the time comes.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #28 on: 20 April 2020, 10:56: AM »
For what I have seen performance increase wise it's because my CPU playing certain games is no longer being used to 100% causing my GPU to be used less, however in some I have lost performance because the games only use 1 or 2 cores, and prefer higher speed than core count.

For example, The Division 2 at 1440p my GPU on the 7700K was used around 80% to 90% whilst my CPU was up at 100% but now my GPU is used to 99% giving more performance because the CPU can keep up with it.

A high core count CPU will reduce the time it takes for the GPU to render the frames etc, I cannot remember the exact way it work's and I am supposed to be working at the moment  :rofl: but basically for me my 2080Ti gives better performance on a CPU that can cope with the frames it produces but a lower core count AMD/Intel CPU wouldn't cope mainly the Dual/Quad core CPU's.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #29 on: 20 April 2020, 06:23: PM »
Thanks for the input guys.
Got a link to that GPU of yours Damien?
edit: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-2080-ti?ckSuppliers=396&ckTab=0&sSort=2   ?

Btw, where does one plug one of those NVME SSDs into a mobo? :dunce:
« Last Edit: 20 April 2020, 07:23: PM by Ramrod »

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #30 on: 20 April 2020, 07:17: PM »
Right question for you Rammy, do you need a case and PSU?

I am going to put a few pc's together for you on PCPartpicker, and that way your options are laid out and if you decide to go with one of them I will only charge £1K  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #31 on: 20 April 2020, 07:26: PM »
Right question for you Rammy, do you need a case and PSU?
Yeah. The reason I'm upgrading is because Alex's Lappy is struggling with the music work that he's throwing at it so I'm giving him my old PC which will be more than adequate

I am going to put a few pc's together for you on PCPartpicker, and that way your options are laid out and if you decide to go with one of them I will only charge £1K  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  :angel:

You mentioned a NVME SSD, where do they plug into the mobo?

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #32 on: 20 April 2020, 08:16: PM »
So first build:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x (12 Core)
MSI X570 MEG Unify or Gigabyte Auros X570 Elite
32Gb (2x16Gb) Corsair Vengeance LPX C18 (From Scan LN104174 as it's Ryzen Optimised and it worked no issues out of the box for me at it's rated speed)
MSI RTX 2080Ti Gaming X Trio (The one you linked to)
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME SSD or WD Black SN750 1Tb (with or without the Heatsink)
Corsair HX Platinum 850W Fully Modular
Deepcool Castle 360EX

Total Price £2484.98 depends on where you buy it all

Second:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950x (16 Core)
MSI X570 MEG Unify or Gigabyte Auros X570 Elite
32Gb (2x16Gb) Corsair Vengeance LPX C18 (From Scan LN104174 as it's Ryzen Optimised and it worked no issues out of the box for me at it's rated speed)
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME SSD or WD Black SN750 1Tb (with or without the Heatsink)
Corsair HX Platinum 850W Fully Modular
Deepcool Castle 360EX

Total Price £2770.72 again depends on where you buy it all

Third is a Threadripper build (read expensive, overkill and really! really! really! needs a custom watercooling loop)

AMD Threadripper 3960x (24 Core)
MSI S-TRX40 Creator
32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Vengeance
Corsair AX Titanium 1500W Fully Modular (required since the cpu can draw up to 400w at stock)
Deepcool Castle 360EX

Total Price £3532.75 again depends on where you buy it all

Fourth again a Threadripper and again read expensive, overkill and really! really! really! needs a custom watercooling loop

AMD Threadripper 3970x (32 Core)
MSI S-TRX40 Creator
32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Vengeance
Corsair AX Titanium 1500W Fully Modular (required since the cpu can draw up to 400w at stock)
Deepcool Castle 360EX

Total Price £4132.73

Now you may notice none of them include a case, that's because I don't know what you would like in terms of Glass, RGB etc etc and if you did go the threadripper route the case I would advise if the Corsair Obsidian 100d priced at close to £500, because that will give you the room for the ideally 2x 360mm radiators that would be needed to cool it when at full chat without sounding like a jet turbine.

Now if you go with the Ryzen build, either one of them it's not my money so it's up to you but make sure you get the ram I have provided the LN number for at Scan because Ryzen is picky about Ram and given this stuff was installed and in the Bios I just enabled XMP and it worked without question or issue, it is the stuff I would recommend anyone to buy.

The NVME thing, depends on which board you go for, but if you look at the pictures of mine, on one of the pictures you can see my WD Black on it and where it's connected just below the cpu block, now because that has a Heatsink already attached then the one that was supplied already installed on the motherboard wouldn't fit, so I had to leave it off but if you buy a NVME without a heatsink you will be able to put it on.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #33 on: 20 April 2020, 09:36: PM »
I feel sorry for Rammy's patients and the amount of pain he's going to have to inflict on them to relieve the fees needed to pay for even the cheapest of those options. :stretcher:

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #34 on: 20 April 2020, 10:13: PM »
Jesus Damien, nice work  :tu: :notworthy:

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #35 on: 21 April 2020, 06:03: AM »
I forgot to mention that if you go with the cooler or another 360mm AIO cooler then you will need to make sure that the case you choose can support it.

You can also go for an Air Cooler but it would need to be the Noctua NH-D15 but I believe you have to buy the AM4 socket mounting hardware seperate unless you buy the all Black version, but your temps will be quite warm.

Also with an NVME drive, you lose some Sata ports but if you go for the MSI board, you don't lose any because they don't include the ones that you would lose in the first place.

I would also recommend getting 6x EK Vardar 1850rpm fans for the 360mm AIO cooler priced at £14 each, and then a fan controller priced at anything from £35 to £50+ depends on what you want but it would need to support 6 fans, if the case you choose can support fans in push/pull on the AIO, they are not RGB but they are really good but if you want RGB then the Corsair ML120's or LL120's I think are a good choice.

Also if you do go Push/Pull then you will need to order some screws from Amazon which are these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015BSAQ0O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The ones you want are the 16x 30mm you will need to order 1 pack to have enough but if you wanted spare then order 2 packs.

Thermal paste wise the cooler will have some pre-applied but if you do want some then the Noctua NT-H2 or Artic Cooling MX4 (2019) is really good.

The PSU if you go for one of the Corsair ones, then you can look on the Corsair website at what Generation it is and then get a complete custom cable kit, like I did if you want to use different cables and keep the stock ones seperate as a spare set.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #37 on: 21 April 2020, 12:30: PM »
Will throw some videos on and look at them, but be careful about closed off side panels etc you need plenty of airflow in the case when you are running a 3950x or Threadripper with a 2080Ti.

It's not just CPU/GPU temps you have to be careful of but also CPU VRM temps.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #38 on: 21 April 2020, 02:24: PM »
Define 7 XL out of those two, as that is a case I after watching some videos might look at it in the future because of it's massive watercooling support.

The only downside is that front door, but it has a decent amount of ventilation on the side with the door closed.

The none XL version probably would be fine for most people since they are not going to do a custom waterloop, but if you are going for a custom waterloop the XL is the option to go for.

So if your going to go for the Threadripper build with custom watercooling then the XL is the one to get, if you are going to get the Ryzen 9 build and use a AIO then you can get either the none XL or the XL it will only affect temps a small amount by going for the XL over the normal when using Air or AIO cooling.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #39 on: 21 April 2020, 03:40: PM »
Prolly go for the XL as you never know what the future holds.
love the way that the storage is hidden behind the back plate.
The guy at (iirc) kitguru was reviewing a white one which looks very nice but it's not the XL afaik

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal