naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: CPU Upgrade Time  (Read 461 times)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Re: CPU Upgrade Time
« Reply #20 on: 18 April 2020, 04:07: PM »
I can see the difference in things like a GPU where you can get better frame rates at higher resolutions with better cards.  But I can't quantify that with sound.  I did use wired headphones for gaming that claimed to be 5.1 (there were multiple connectors to the soundcard, not just the usual stereo jack) as opposed to emulated, but when those fell apart, found no difference with to going USB wirleess.  5.1 speakers connected to the onboard sound (again multiple connectors) with an amp on my 2015 motherboard seems fine.  There must be a reason why separate sound cards are made, I just can't hear it.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Semi retired :)
« Reply #21 on: 18 April 2020, 04:59: PM »
I know what you mean about headsets. I got through about 4 or 5 of the buggers (just fell apart of broke) till I finally bought the Beyerdynamic MMX 300's which have lasted several years so far.
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #22 on: 18 April 2020, 06:13: PM »
At that price they'd need to last a lifetime :wtf:
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #23 on: 18 April 2020, 06:20: PM »
Indeed. So far, so good......

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #24 on: 18 April 2020, 11:01: PM »
WTF is going on with motherboards these days?!
I'm looking at the Socket sTRX4's and X570's and they all seem to have these shitty little fans built in which are pretty much guaranteed to have their bearings fail after about 2 years of use! Then you have to throw away the whole lot :(

Offline Scary

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Boo scared ya
« Reply #25 on: 19 April 2020, 06:35: AM »
You can always watercool the motherboard

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #26 on: 19 April 2020, 07:30: AM »
Ok so many thing's going on in this thread  :D

First for the whole sound question, I am not a sound engineer or anything so if you really want to know the difference in more detail then there are websites with actual sound engineers who explain everything in detail.

The onboard "Sound Card's" are utter trash, they are the bog standard basic stuff efforts of a "Sound Card" that the manufacturer can get away, until you get the "High End Motherboard's" when generally they will have a slightly better setup but no where near the level of a "Good" sound card.

Going for a "Good" or "High End" internal sound card will allow you to hear thing's in music, games and film's that you probably wouldn't have heard before potentially without messing with Amps and the EQ if the software has one.

The Creative card that I have does not have a EQ so I have to use 3rd party software called "Equalizer APO" combined with "PC Equalizer" which is a GUI for "Equalizer APO" and this then will allow me to tweak my audio for specific games etc.

Now for "External Sound Card's" these from everything I have seen and some people I have talked to are the "Best" solution if you want to hear games, Music and Film's the way the creator wants them to be heard.

The headphones is personal choice though, I have the "Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO" they are nice headphones, but the only thing they are lacking in for me is "Bass" and although I say it's lacking that is because I like a lot of "Bass", and if I wanted I could change them but to be honest once I have a new sound card at some point in the future I may look at changing them, but to get a set that should meet what I want I could be looking at up to £2.5k for the headphones or just £100 it depends on what I want.

This is the thing, my mum doesn't care about 1080p tv's or 4k tv's because she say's she cannot see any difference between SD and HD images, to the point that you put a channel on the TV that is not HD and then put the same channel in HD and she will say they look identical.

That is how it is for people with sound, when playing PUBG with Bop he will hear things long before me unless I mess with my sound setting's because the hardware is different and designed for different things as well as Bop having what seems like super human hearing  :D

Now the Motherboard query from Rammy.

The X570 motherboards and STRX4's are all PCI-E 4.0 capable motherboard's, and the chip set produces a decent amount of heat because of the power used for the chip set, so they need the fan only if you don't have decent air flow in your case.

Right now whilst typing this the one on the motherboard I have is not spinning, and even putting Cinebench running doesn't cause it to spin.

If you are concerned about the little fan, then as Paul said you can watercool the motherboard but the one he showed in the picture is about £900 for that motherboard so yeah not cheap, but it is one of the best motherboards on the market for AMD 3000 series CPU's.

If you buy a cheap board, then you might have issues later down the line but if you buy one that is set out decently then you should be fine.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #27 on: 19 April 2020, 03:53: PM »
You can always watercool the motherboard
I was considering that :D

Damien, in your opinion, are the AMD Threadrippers worth the money?

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #28 on: 20 April 2020, 06:51: AM »
Not if your only gaming, to be honest the 3900x/3950x is massive overkill just for gaming the 3700x or 3800x is perfectly fine.

Threadripper is designed for people who need all the cores and threads for video work etc.

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #29 on: 02 May 2020, 05:38: PM »
Well Paul's PC is up and running and back with him, I will let him take any photo's if he wants to.

I ordered myself the Fractal Design Define 7 XL case, and it turned up today so after building Paul's I started on mine.

Got part way through and thought "F**K It I will finish it tomorrow" so packed it all away for tonight and going to sit back, relax and watch tv and maybe order a Pizza or Kebab.

The new case is awesome though, Rammy is going to like Building in it.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #30 on: 02 May 2020, 05:54: PM »
The new case is awesome though, Rammy is going to like Building in it.
A slightly tight squeeze for some of the connections on the mobo at the top because of the AIO cooler and it's fans but overall a good experience :tu:

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #31 on: 03 May 2020, 12:17: PM »
Well mine is back up and running now, so now I just need to start buying the custom water loop kit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal