naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: GFX card  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Semi retired :)
Re: GFX card
« Reply #20 on: 24 November 2019, 05:44: PM »
Now this one is reduced and comes with free stuff that I recon I could flog on ebay for about £100
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-rog-strix-oc-11264mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-427-as.html#comments

Damien, what GPU(s) are you running atm?
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #21 on: 24 November 2019, 06:10: PM »
A 2080Ti must be overkill at 1440p?  And if you were looking at the 2070 levels have you found some money stashed down the sofa?

One review on tbe OCuK site suggests that card rus a bit hot due to cheap thermal paste.  Wouldn't expect that at that pricing point.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #22 on: 24 November 2019, 06:42: PM »

One review on tbe OCuK site suggests that card rus a bit hot due to cheap thermal paste.  Wouldn't expect that at that pricing point.
I saw that review. Others say that the temps are fine.
Some reviews on Amazon mention graphics artifacts/glitching in the earlier versions of the card as well.
Reason I'm seriously looking at this card is because there isn't much point me buying anything else 'cos the 980Ti I'm running atm is ok. If I'm going to spend money, in order to see a big change, I need to really upgrade. Plus, as Bop said, this'll future proof me for 3-5 years.
The only question is, do I buy now (Black Friday) or do I wait for Cyber Monday or even the January sales?  :o

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #23 on: 24 November 2019, 08:52: PM »
If it's on offer now, unlikely to be much bigger drop for Black Friday.  OCuK on their forums have been pushing their deals for a few days now - probably to spread the load on warehouses and couriers.  But unless the pound sterling exhange rate moves, prices aren't going to give any decent bigger margins.  From wathing OcUK over previous years, their January sales pricing hasn't been much different to the Black Friday, indeed their January (read Boxing Day) stuff has often been only a repeat, if that, of Black Friday but without a headline deal (usually only seen on their forums before it got snapped up by those in the know).

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #24 on: 24 November 2019, 10:22: PM »
If it's on offer now, unlikely to be much bigger drop for Black Friday.  OCuK on their forums have been pushing their deals for a few days now - probably to spread the load on warehouses and couriers.  But unless the pound sterling exhange rate moves, prices aren't going to give any decent bigger margins.  From wathing OcUK over previous years, their January sales pricing hasn't been much different to the Black Friday, indeed their January (read Boxing Day) stuff has often been only a repeat, if that, of Black Friday but without a headline deal (usually only seen on their forums before it got snapped up by those in the know).
Good to know. Thank you. In that case, I think that I'll go for that deal now.  :wacko:

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #25 on: 24 November 2019, 10:31: PM »
Barclaycard kicked it's security up to the next level and wanted to know my inside leg measurement as well......

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #26 on: 24 November 2019, 10:33: PM »

Fuck me.....that's the most I've ever spent on a GPU.... :o

Offline damien c

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #27 on: 25 November 2019, 06:41: AM »
Yep and the thing is they are only going to get more expensive until AMD decide to actually compete at the high end again, and with Intel entering the market next year we just have to hope they bring some decently priced cards out but it's Intel so they probably won't.

I will be looking at a new card next year, but it's got to offer at least 50% improvement because currently unless I was to buy a Titan RTX even the rumored 2080Ti Super is only going to give between 20% and 35% and that is not enough, considering you can buy a car for the amount of money they want for these cards.

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #28 on: 25 November 2019, 08:26: AM »
Nice one Rammy, git ;)

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #29 on: 27 November 2019, 10:18: AM »
"Your OVERCLOCKERS order will be delivered today by Simon, your DPD driver, between 14:37 and 15:37. "  :whip:

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2019, 10:53: AM »
And installed when ? GIT ;D

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #31 on: 27 November 2019, 01:15: PM »
And installed when ? GIT ;D

Who knows.  :rtfm: :pcno:

Just so long as it doesn't result in another build my computer thread  :P

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #32 on: 28 November 2019, 10:15: AM »
Just received my lovely new gpu. Took out my old evga 980 Ti and slotted in the new asus 2080 Ti.
Power on, fans start spinning, lights come on but both my screens (DP and HDMI) after briefly lighting up, are showing no input.
Checked all connections on mobo (P67A-something or other).
Put old gpu back in and everything boots up fine.
Tried new gpu just with the HDMI screen, no good.
Thoughts? BIOS update? (can't get into BIOS btw, dunno why! Boots straight to windows!)
win 10 64bit
16 gig ram
1000w psu

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #33 on: 28 November 2019, 10:38: AM »
I'll try disabling fast start on windows when I get home (dunno if it's even enabled)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #34 on: 28 November 2019, 01:18: PM »
hmm, why did I just know this wasn't going to be a five minute swap over?

With your current GPU.  Disconnect one monitor so you only have one.  DP may be the better connection as that supports g-sync (even if you don't have a g-sync monitor).  Delete the existing drivers.  Install the current nvidia driver.  Check the resolution is correct in the display properties.

What PSU do you have.  Can it support the new GPU?

Now turn off the PC.  Swap over the GPUs, and see what happens on reboot.

I'll be very surprised if BIOS makes any difference.  This is going to be within windows.

If you need it try Windows 10 safe mode, if your PC starts too quickly to get into the BIOS type menus go to settings > update & security > recovery > advanced start up - you should be able to find safe mode, but it may be buried under further troubleshooting type options.  You should be able to fully delete all nvidia drivers in there.  https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #35 on: 28 November 2019, 01:24: PM »
Will try all that :tu:
I've got lots of things to try (been making a list of possible fixes)....gonna be a fun evening :D

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #36 on: 28 November 2019, 09:44: PM »
Absence of any postings suggests Rammy may have an issue .... ?

Oddly a couple of our work computers decided today there were major updates to apply even though it's not patch Tuesday for Windows.  Another thing to look at if old card works and new isn't would be that all windows and similar patches are applied.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #37 on: 28 November 2019, 09:54: PM »
I've run through every fix apart from bios update. I'm about to look into that now.
So far I've tried:
Different PSU rails supplying each 8pin PCI-E power slot on the GPU
Installing the updated nvidia displayport drivers
Installing nvidia 2080 Ti drivers and rebooting with 2080 Ti in situ
Wiping all traces of nvidia drivers & inserting the 2080 Ti and rebooting
I'm beginning to suspect that my aging mobo just can't handle the card :(

edit: actually, I suspect that the bios update will probably do diddly squat so tomorrow I'm going to phone Overclockers about returning the card :(
I suppose that this current PC build has had all the juice squeezed out of it and I'm simply going to have to build a new PC at some point in the nearish future when it can't play what I want at an acceptable level :(
« Last Edit: 28 November 2019, 10:15: PM by Ramrod »

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #38 on: 28 November 2019, 10:00: PM »
I'd be surprised if Motherboard / Bios would stop the card running.  I know an ancient MB/ CPU combo I had created a bottleneck that a better GPU didn't get data under load, but at startup the GPU load is nothing so I can't see that would be the problem.

On startup, cold boot, you should see some stuff displayed on a single monitor.  even if only enough to get to the BIOS, or the windoze initial boot.  If you don't even see those booting screens, something will be nasty and I'd find another PC to try the card in before blaming your PC.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #39 on: 28 November 2019, 10:23: PM »
I'd be surprised if Motherboard / Bios would stop the card running.  I know an ancient MB/ CPU combo I had created a bottleneck that a better GPU didn't get data under load, but at startup the GPU load is nothing so I can't see that would be the problem.

On startup, cold boot, you should see some stuff displayed on a single monitor.  even if only enough to get to the BIOS, or the windoze initial boot.  If you don't even see those booting screens, something will be nasty and I'd find another PC to try the card in before blaming your PC.
I don't have another PC capable of supporting that card :(
On boot I get all lights in PC up, keyboard lights up (but never gets past stock lighting settings to my settings)
Main screen kicks in and behaves itself for about 30 seconds before reporting 'no input' (second screen doesn't kick in and main screen doesn't display the mobo splash screen or anything else apart from some arcane letters and numbers in the corners )
Mouse lights up but obviously doesn't have a functioning screen to work on.
I can see that the new GPU is lit up and spinning.
Interestingly, when I press and hold the power button to power down again, the PC shuts down immediately, almost as if windows doesn't have to sort itself out before shutting down. It's as if windows isn't there and I'm just powering down the hardware.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2019, 10:26: PM by Ramrod »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal