naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Gaming headset  (Read 493 times)

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
Gaming headset
« on: 09 December 2018, 08:42: PM »
My Wife has offered to buy me a new set of headphones for Christmas, so I'm looking for recommendations. I have Corsair Vengeance 1500 ATM which are USB and work perfectly fine, but the leather? facing is coming off the padding which runs over my scalp and is causing it to become itchy.

So my questions are

USB, wired or wireless?

and are their any headsets out there that have minimum padding across the top, between the ear pieces?

Dolby 7.1 or even 5.1 have never seemed to work for me, possibly not set up correctly, or more likely i cannot tell the difference

Thoughts please

TIA

IMPz

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Re: Gaming headset
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2018, 09:55: PM »
Wired is only any use if you do have a sound card as part of your computer's motherboard or as addition. 

I suspect the purists will say that wireless must have some sort of added lag.  I've used wireless for a while now, my inability wouldn't detect it, and I love the freedom of no wires dangling around my head.  I did have a surround sound wired headset and can't tell any difference.

The 7.1 / 5.1 may in part depend on the headset.  Many emulate rather than having the multiple speakers needed.  Having said that I've only just worked out the added settings in windows and the headphone software (which apparently wasn't running) to get that 3D type sound, yet speakers worked fine.

A lot of headphones say Dolby, but you may pay added licence fees for that.

If wireless you might as well be USB as it's all going to come down to the quality of the amp and stuff in the headset.

Biggest challenge is comfort.  And unfortunately buying on line you won't know till they arrive.

Some of the Steelseries are supposed to be a bit different for adjustment with some sort of headband separate to and under the usual over the head padded bracket.  Having said that a Steelseries I bought a while ago, and palmed off onto Rammy, was too tight squeezing my ears.

For a while now I've had a Corsair gaming H2100 Wireless which I like, but I got that cheap as a reconditioned offer, and couldn't afford it now.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2018, 10:05: PM »
CAn't wait for my Corsairs to breeak so i can go back to the wired Hyper X Clouds I used ot have, best headset I've ever owned.

I want wired as my kids use thm all the time and jjust abandon them when they're flat!

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2018, 11:09: PM »
The big question is budget let us know that and we'll know what could possibly be recommended, there are good sets available from the £100 up over, 2 top streamers I watch, 1 uses the HyperX Cloud Revolver (wired) £100 ish and has superman hearing, the other uses Steel Series Arktis Pro (wireless) £300 ish, again, with superman hearing. There are of course bargains to be had second hand, I got my £300 set for just over £100 on the bay, with superman hearing ;)

Let us know if you've been naughty or nice and we can give some names up ;D
« Last Edit: 10 December 2018, 10:03: AM by bopdude »