naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Ultra v Basic Graphics - A legitimate cheat  (Read 66 times)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Ultra v Basic Graphics - A legitimate cheat
« on: 23 November 2018, 11:25: PM »
Many PC gamers spend a small fortune on getting the best computer system possible. CPU, SSD, RAM, GPU and Monitor (size, resolution).  As a result we can then express awe and wonder at the images that appear in front of us.  We expect the latest games to confront us with amazing real life vistas.

But, I get the impression that many of the more elite players gain an advantage by resetting many of their settings to a more mediocre level rather than having everything turned up to the maximum 11 (ultra) that our systems can support.  Effectively by reducing settings you get an advantage that, as the presented image becomes more blocky, and removes some of the bling of precise leaf, brickwork or whatever, in turn the precise edges of the avatars stand out.

I find myself getting frequently shot in FPS when I can very barely see an enemy.  The opposite player no doubt has better reactions than me to turn, aim and shoot.  But to be able to do so, and I cannot believe virtually everyone I play against actually runs a hack, they must also be able to easily spot me.

So the question is whether I should abandon good imagery, for the worst possible settings in the expectation that levels the playing field.

Consoles like playstation and xbox have advantages everyone has the same kit (apart perhaps from the TV screen), so there is some equality.

Should computer gaming only have an "auto" setting mode, forcing the best resolution your kit is deemed to support?  Anything less seems to be an unintentional advantage to those turning stuff off.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
Re: Ultra v Basic Graphics - A legitimate cheat
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2018, 12:00: AM »
I know what you're saying, and as an advocate of changing settings I believe it's choice, BUT, something needs 'fixing' with this new game, I'm still messing with settings, can see very well but suffered the same fate, it can't be all of us playing wrong, can it ?

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2018, 05:40: PM »
I'm happy to keep my settings on ultra/high 'cos I want to look at as realistic a scene as possible whilst I'm playing. If saddos out there are willing to give up decades of technological advancement in order to gain an advantage then so be it.
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2018, 06:07: PM »
I'm pretty sure the biggest advantage gain from turning down the graphics detail is the increased frame rates, though I agree that avatars standing out from the background that little bit more is also a gain.