naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner
GotW™ : CoD 4

Author Topic: Website design  (Read 165 times)

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
Website design
« on: 08 August 2018, 09:38: PM »
I need a website designing, but when it comes to arty stuff etc I'm shit.

Whilst I'd love to do it myself, it'll look shit. Anyone reccomend a good place to start?

I registered my domain name with GoDaddy a few months back after a few too many beers talking to vantage! They have a website builder which they charge £6.99 to design and maintain. Although from teh look of it, it's just a theme which I can slightly modify and add pages to.

I guess I could use wordpress myself and create a website using a free theme?

Thought gents please on the best way to go about this :)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Re: Website design
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2018, 12:14: AM »
Step 1 is to understand what you are hoping to do with your website?  Who is your intended audience?

First and foremost a website needs to be about content.  Then you can think about how to bling it up.

Is this a site where content is largely static, or will stuff regularly change?  Is the site largely text based, or will it be more about images like photos?

Most websites today are in some form or other built around a content management system.  The main open source ones are joomla, wordpress and drupal.  Each has advantages.  Chances are your web hosting package will have an automated install process for wordpress or joomla.  You'll then add various modules, of which there is an almost infinite choice of "free" (often limited in some way) and paid versions of stuff claiming to do similar things.

There are free, and less free templates and styles for sites.  But sooner or later you will need to create some of your own graphics.  There may be some free images out there, but most are crap.  It took forever for me to work out how to build the rank images on here.  The colouring styles was a lot of trial and error over many evenings.  The banner was created by Scary.

First time round will be a learning curve and google will be your friend.  Biggest problem is most of the people who make these systems assume you understand their techy talk.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2018, 07:52: AM »
I forget now which program I used, it was easy enough to do

My site

http://versatile-tilers.co.uk/index.html

Of course, there's no content in / on it now as I ceased trading but hey ho ;)

When I figure out what I used I'll post back.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2018, 07:55: AM by bopdude »

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2018, 11:42: AM »
I should add that the Joomla system (which I have sort of used), and no doubt the Wordpress (which I haven't), allows you to create a lot of the basic page content via WYSIWYG editors, so you don't, initially need a knowledge of web coding or special software.  They usually have inbuilt navigation (menu link) systems, and make it reasonable to embed some imagery.  It's only once you start to want to deviate from a standardish setup that things become complex.

Most of what is on www.emberbigband.uk is simply created with a very standard joomla default template and a bit of looking around to work out how to set up a couple of bits.  There are only two mods being used, one for the contact page form (which sometimes also has an added form that we can use for people to reserve booking for shows, albeit not a pre-payment system), and the facebook link through.  Next big job on that site will be to add a simple photo gallery and video clip module, but I'm a bit concerned about the bandwidth that might need.  Most we hosting packages only allow you a specific monthly bandwidth use.

Oh and most of the CMS systems being open source are regularly updated with added features or security patches.  Keep up to date to minimise risk of hackings, and make sure your admin account has a good, secure, password that you don't use anywhere else.  Keep that password different to those used in the web hosting package and also in any password to the mysql database that runs behind the website.
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2018, 11:57: AM »

Whilst I'd love to do it myself, it'll look shit. Anyone reccomend a good place to start?

I registered my domain name with GoDaddy a few months back after a few too many beers talking to vantage! They have a website builder which they charge £6.99 to design and maintain. Although from teh look of it, it's just a theme which I can slightly modify and add pages to.

What does the web site need to do? (e.g. sell stuff, anything funky features needed?)

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2018, 12:16: PM »

What does the web site need to do? (e.g. sell stuff, anything funky features needed?)

I'm looking to set up my own mobile bike repair business. I need to be able to have some bumf about me(history, qualifications etc), what services I can provide, price lists and some sort of booking system.

It'll probably be quite a static website initially, but then the usual blog stuff, social media links etc maybe how-to instructional videos.

I've done a bit of Joomla before, v2 I think, so quite a while ago.

I'm not out if the airforce for a few years yet, so really just want to test the water and see if this is deffo what I want to do in 5yrs time!

I think joomla is the best for me right now, its the content and style which I may struggle on!

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2018, 03:06: PM »
Joomla is more than adequate for what you need.
If you're struggling for design stuff (as I would), I'd find an existing theme that best matches what you want, and try not to fiddle with it too much, use as much that comes out of the box as possible.
Also, if it were me, I'd be looking at loads of other bicycle type websites (which I am sure you already do) for ideas on what looks good, what works, and what feels right for you.
Initially, I'd also advise to keep it as simple as possible, put your phone number on there so people can call you to talk to you.

HTH

BTW, just registered my own domain name - awesomesource.systems :D Nothing there yet, literally just clicked thebutton to buy it.