naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Battlefield V  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Stormpr00ter

• Space Cadet
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Battlefield V
« Reply #60 on: 10 November 2018, 05:47: PM »
I guess we'll find out after full release. I seem to recall it was tricky at first with Battlefield 1, but got better after a few weeks or so.

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #61 on: 13 November 2018, 03:08: PM »
Initial review articles of the real released game are a bit mixed.  Most acknowledge DICE have tried to get back to some of the older BF gaming, but also needed to hang on to modern expectations of the console generation and that sort of works.  The graphics (if you have a decent card using DX11, not 12) are great and some of the chaos of war is great, but the changes during game are more subtle than BF4's levelution and BF1's Behemoths which might be a good thing?  I haven't seen much praise for the map design, that none so far are classics.  The game is launched without some of the big new features like Firestorm (the PUBG type thing) that won't be around till next March but at least (sop far) there is no payable DLC so those expansions will be part of the game price, and the only payable content should be player skins.  There are bugs not least of which are the ragdolls that will flay around through walls.  Some reviews comment that the code for shots at distance may not display stuff accurately as if frames are missing (another word for netcode and inadequate tick servers?).  Gamesradar are very scathing "right now, Battlefield 5 is the weakest entry in the series since 2015’s Battlefield Hardline."

Overall it seem the game has a number of positives, but perhaps a work in progress (but I think that is DICE all over)
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #62 on: 19 November 2018, 02:12: PM »
Well, I've given in and got Origin Access, couldn't afford the one off payment although it was very inviting, instead I've gone monthly, d/ling BF V as I type.

BIG EDIT AND RETHINK

Just had a look at the Access Games Vault, out of the 170 ish games on it there are less than a handful that I might play, thinking I might just cancel ?
« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 02:55: PM by bopdude »

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #63 on: 20 November 2018, 04:36: PM »
Origin Access is only of merit if you are prepared to subscribe year on year, and would expect to buy at least two full price games a year.  I'm sad enough that I barely buy one game, so for me it just doesn't make much sense.

Even subscribing for a single £3.99 month, to then get a 10% discount on a game doesn't make sense when places like CJS undercut Origin.  But then I can't understand how Origin can be undercut so much as being the publisher's system it should be cheapest.  Even if somehow CJS are based in an area where they don't have VAT (20%) but Origin has to cover VAT, CJS still undercut ???

But what I really want to know is whether or not to buy BFV.  Is it worth a punt?

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #64 on: 20 November 2018, 04:39: PM »
I'm gonna game on it tomorrow or tonight and have a play, I can let you know my side :)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #65 on: 20 November 2018, 04:47: PM »
If you don't want to pay for BFV you can spend a few hundred quid on a new RTX enabled Nvidia GPU (20## series) and get the game for free :eek:

But then perhaps nvida are getting a bit desperate with the RTX cards not selling so well being vastly expensive, and those games with RTX not meeting expectations "Even games with RTX like Battlefield V are plagued with issues and super crappy performance."

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #66 on: 20 November 2018, 05:02: PM »
Jeezz IF I could I would, but then I would need to upgrade all sorts to run the RTX card lmfao ;D

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #67 on: 20 November 2018, 10:25: PM »
Right, after a quick couple of fights on it with Pabs it gets a thumbs up from me. Pabs has put a link in Discord, if you want the game take a look see :)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #68 on: 21 November 2018, 10:28: AM »
I succumbed last night and bought it through cjs who were struggling to meet demand so first chance to play is probably tonight.  I don't buy new games often, last one was PUBG (and look how that turned out), before that the ill fated kickstarters of Battalion and Days of War (never kickstarting ever again), so it's time for something new in my arsenal.

Reviews I've seen of the real game are positive, but suggest there is still a lot of development and balance work to be done particularly on aircraft.  Snipers aren't all powerful.  Maps look good but some layouts are a bit pants.  For the PUBG mob squad play is important to really support each other with different roles, the lone ranger won't get far.  Notably the game is by default closer to a more hardcore feel, perhaps due to the attrition system (limited ammo at spawn, full health regen only from medics, etc), so it may be something a few of us appreciate. 

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #69 on: 21 November 2018, 10:33: AM »
Well I cancelled Access but have still paid for a months play, I'll get it at pay day :)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #70 on: 21 November 2018, 10:38: AM »
Well I cancelled Access but have still paid for a months play, I'll get it at pay day :)

You can't really complain if £4 allows you to trial a game first on Origin Access, even if it is still then cheaper to buy through some odd offshore organisation.  It would be expensive if EA released new games every few weeks that you wanted to try, but as a one off ...

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #71 on: 21 November 2018, 10:43: PM »
Well that was ........

interesting.

Inevitably I died a lot.

From only a couple of hours play it's difficult to form any real opinion.  But it's fairly fast.  It's more hardcore than softcore, but default still has softcore stuff like killcam.  Working with a squad is a good tactic, but don't spawn on Vantage as he will always be somewhere where too many people are shooting. In fact spawning can be a challenge and seems a bit random if you are able to deploy or not.  Anyone can revive but you'll probably die trying, so medics don't take as long and may have better survival.  Bombs from planes are lethal and I'm not that sure planes are easily taken out from the ground.  Tanks aren't all powerful and standard assault class has rocket launcher that will do them good damage.  Snipers don't seem to be that advantaged compared to some FPS games.  On wooded / field based maps players do blend in to background but urban maps they are visible. Not sure yet about the abilities to build defences (sand bag walls etc), but maps certainly change gradually as stuff gets blown up, a bit more realistic than the sudden building collapses of BF4.  Seemed to have reasonable graphics, mostly on higher settings, with 75-85 FPS at 1440p on a 980Ti. 

Overall game needs a bit of balancing, but conquest if teams are full seems to be fairly even as to who might win.  It's something to keep playing over the next week or so.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Full time again :(
« Reply #72 on: 22 November 2018, 09:40: PM »
Just bought it from cjs......
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #73 on: 24 November 2018, 03:12: PM »
Likewise, downloading now - £34.99 bargain