naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Pet Moans and Hates : The Next Generation.  (Read 254175 times)

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
Re: Pet Moans and Hates : The Next Generation.
« Reply #2960 on: 13 May 2019, 09:20: AM »
Yep if the new radiator is smaller, then there are various adaptor tails that you can insert between the vale and radiator, often in place of the standard radiator tail.  So you can bridge the gap.

Doesn't work the other way round where the radiator plus the standard tails is wider than spacing between the valves.  In this case it might only be 10mm or so I need to gain but there isn't enough length in the existing pipes coming out of the wall, only 50mm to create that small flex, and by trying to bend, even in a slight swan neck so it's square to the radiator, you then reduce the projection from the wall so the valves won't be out far enough to mate up.

A rather frustrating day, so back to Screwfix for yet more parts ....

Oh and now that the system is drained down, and there are all sorts of open pipes, let's hope the cable tie arrangement to hold the feed / expansion tank float valve shut holds up.  Can't believe the mains supply to the main domestic tank and feed tank uses the same pipe with only a common shut off valve.  Yet another thing to change :(
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Semi retired :)
« Reply #2961 on: 13 May 2019, 10:25: AM »
I glad I got rid of our loft tank and have a direct feed.  :tu:
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #2962 on: 28 May 2019, 08:37: PM »
Vent....................... 'nough said :(

feelsbetterman :)

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #2963 on: 21 June 2019, 07:03: AM »
Two trips to Turkey with Dad,, salmonella the first time and now back in the UK and in hospital with s broken hip that he got over there, poor old bugger, surgery probably tomorrow.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #2964 on: 21 June 2019, 01:27: PM »
Oh bloody hell. :(

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #2965 on: 21 June 2019, 04:19: PM »
That must have been very uncomfortable getting him back to UK.

Offline bopdude

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Too old for this shit
« Reply #2966 on: 21 June 2019, 04:27: PM »
Luckily we took his wheelchair but it was still a mission and very sore for him, anyway, he's had the op, they've replaced the broken ball in the hip joint but apparently he's on a watch list because of his various aliments, seems ok in himself atm, going back up in half hour, might make a bit of FNGing but don't promise anything.

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #2967 on: 21 June 2019, 05:15: PM »
Good luck :(

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #2968 on: 11 October 2019, 09:38: PM »
FFing heating system seems to have a mind of it's own.  No idea when it's going to switch on, or switch off, or why.

It's been off all summer after the radiator swapping out debacle (three of the buggers eventually changed after chopping holes in walls, floors and who knows what to change pipe lengths and all sorts of crap as none of the joints would reliably hold water - solder, compression they just didn't like it up 'em until I went for push fit plastic).  Still at least somehow that means using economy 7 hot water heating over summer for a pitiful 3/4 hours in the night resulted in my monthly direct debit bill for combined electric and gas  reducing to a meagre £66 a month.

I don't think there is much to replace, unless I do the boiler and whilst that is ancient it works so not touching that for over £3,000 even if I'm a luddite fossil fuel hugger.  I've changed motorised valve head, room thermostat / programmer for Hive, double checked all wiring.  Boiler mysteriously fires up in midst of night when everything should be off - Hive says it's some 25 degrees and I'm sweating like a very smelly thing - water timer is off.

Weird, and getting annoyingly expensive.  I need shares in Screwfix.

Offline Klinsman

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #2969 on: 11 October 2019, 10:39: PM »
could it be the timer? is it all run on economy 7?

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #2970 on: 11 October 2019, 10:49: PM »
could it be the timer? is it all run on economy 7?
That's a good thought.....

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #2971 on: 12 October 2019, 10:55: AM »
Wont be economy 7 causing it.  Thats just a switch in the meter - 1 meter for all wiring that just flips internally to a different dial when the tarrif changes, unlike some systems where you do see two separate meters and fuseboxes.  It was all OK before the summer, so something has failed in the controls that I just need to find my way around.  But I've replaced the programmer and the motorised valve head which doesn't leave much else.  Going to try the cylinder thermostat next, otherwise it'll have to be another full drain down to change the motorised valve itself as some say if that get's stuck the motor then sends out weird signals.

Offline IMPz

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #2972 on: 12 October 2019, 02:45: PM »
Daughter had a similar issue - turned out to be a faulty anti frost sensor, so it was detecting frost is the exhaust (i think) when there was none and switching on the system to defrost it, cost £60 including fitting to fix.