naughtygamers
NTHW Gaming Banner

Author Topic: Days of War  (Read 10975 times)

Offline zingle

Re: Days of War
« Reply #40 on: 26 January 2017, 07:32: AM »
This could bring back Zingle

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
  • Semi retired :)
« Reply #41 on: 26 January 2017, 08:38: AM »
 :tu: :)
Step by step, walk the thousand mile road...

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #42 on: 26 January 2017, 09:41: AM »

The game is crap.  I can't recommend it at all :P
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #43 on: 26 January 2017, 11:10: AM »
So now the game is in Early Access mode on Steam for about £20, I can say a lot more about it.  It's important to remember the game is very much under development.  There is a lot of refinement to come, and a lot of further additions.  This week alone there have been 4 patches, as they try different optimisations.

Firstly it's been built by a very small development team.  If the AAA titles have teams of hundreds involved, this game is put together by only a handful.  What they have achieved on a small budget and in a few months (yes they fell behiind their original schedule) is remarkable.  They use the Unreal Engine 4 system.  It aims to resurrect some of the classic FPS shooters of 10-15 years ago, with a more modern computing environment.  Most players say the closest influence is Days of Defeat, but there are facets of CoD UO, MoH:AA and ET.  (I suspect Battalion 1944 when that eventually arrives will be far more CoD UO/2 and MOH).

At present you play as US or German troops, currently set in WWII 1944.  Coming soon will be British and Russian troops, but that may need new maps / scenarios.  It is infantry only with mix of sniper, rifle, shotgun, light and heavy machine guns,and rockets.  Importantly, all weapons are available to all players so none of this ranking up stuff for unlocks.  You choose your soldier type role (you can swap mid game), which determines the primary weapon, and what secondaries you might have for 'nade, pistol, mellee (knife, shovel etc).   Some of the secondary weapon animations remain a little bit clunky.  Weapons genuinely have different characteristics and a recoil effect has serious implications especially for the heavy guns where you'll shoon be pointing skywards.

At Early Access we have 3 maps available (more are promised).  Carentan, Kayersberg and Omaha.  The first two are urban settings and play a sort of domination type game.  Carentan you sort of know but is on a much bigger scale now than the CoD maps you might remember.  They are experimenting with day, dusk type settings, and different weather conditions.  Omaha is more objective based (capture / detonate fixed locations starting with fences on the beach edge before getting over the cliff to detonate gun emplacements or whatever).  It's cleverly done with an impressive set piece opening of the landing craft coming in after which allied try to storm the beach and get over the top of the cliff with the axis controlling the clifftop trenches and bunker behind.  Maps are built for up to 32 players but they've done some stress tests, and probably will do again, with up to 100 players and that is just carnage :)

A feature of most maps is relatively tight alleys, or pathways that create a lot of pinch points.  It makes it a challenge to get across the maps in enough force to take the hostile zones of the opposite team.  Teamwork (which we are crap at) would be key.  Many may find it frustrating that you always spawn back in your base / starting point, so have to recover the same ground.  But that seems to work in reducing a team's ability to move forward with constant instant reinforcement.

There is still work to be done on graphics and sound, the latter not being that directional or having adequate tone especially for some guns.  They are working to optimise things like "fog of war" so it adds properly to the environment, affecting all classes equally (at present snipers seem to be able to see through it but those with iron sights don't).  Having said that I find it so much easier to locate enemy troops compared to say BF1. 

The game is multiplayer only.  It is fast paced.  Run and gunners will probably have more fun than those who camp, especially on the urban style maps.  The campers inevitably get spotted and bypassed, but there isn't a massive glow from sniper sights so they are less easy to spot.  There will be true dedicated servers, with public available files (some are already testing those).  A custom map editor is coming soon, and inevitably cummunities will build mods.  At present you play in a standard mode that has crosshairs, minimap, and regen health, but damage from bullets is quite high so a hardcore mode wouldn't have much effect on your life expectancy.  There is probably not enough "feel" for getting shot, but then it is almost one shot one kill anyway.  Similarly, unless close up to your enemy it may be difficult to know you finally got them.

The game will push your hardware if you let it.  Currently I need around 12GB hard drive (will need more with more maps).  CPU load can be around 25% on my i7 5820K, with the 980Ti all bling turned on getting about 60-70FPS on the 1440p monitor, DX12.  Like most games, you can detune if your system struggles, but an i5 2500K with GTX560 or AMD 7850 is the recommended minimum for Windows 7 DX11 or later.

I expect that soon there will be a lot of video on the likes of You Tube to give you a better idea.

Personally, so far I like what I see, but I also suspect this game won't be for everyone, it won't suit everyone's style.  I would hope people buy it because they are interested, not because others are hyping it as the next best thing since sliced bread.

Offline Spanner

• Hungover
  • [NTHW] Clan
  • Worst.Shot.Ever
« Reply #44 on: 26 January 2017, 06:50: PM »
Pay day and it will be mine!

Offline zingle

« Reply #45 on: 26 January 2017, 09:56: PM »

The game is crap.  I can't recommend it at all :P

i will make my own mind up lol

Offline zingle

« Reply #46 on: 26 January 2017, 10:05: PM »
downloading :)

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #47 on: 26 January 2017, 10:06: PM »
Downloading it atm :)

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #48 on: 26 January 2017, 10:06: PM »
downloading :)
Ah. Shit. We're all going to die  :doh: :D

Offline zingle

« Reply #49 on: 26 January 2017, 10:14: PM »
I will cry if its poo lol

Offline zingle

« Reply #50 on: 26 January 2017, 11:06: PM »
Requested a refund may give it a go when its finished

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #51 on: 28 January 2017, 04:31: PM »
Enjoyed the games last night but I'm even more shite at DoW than I am at BF1  :doh:

Offline MovedGoalPosts

• Kannon Fodda
  • [NTHW] Clan
    • Ember Big Band
« Reply #52 on: 23 January 2020, 05:54: PM »
First this is not a recommendation that anyone should rush out and buy.  After the debacles of both this, and the crap Battalion (bunnyhopfest) 1944, nobody should spend money without seeing some decent finished in game reviews, and only then making up their mind.  I can only apologise to anyone who feels shafted (like me) but you probably didn't get caught anywhere near as bad as me for kickstarter funding (never ever again, however great a prospectus proposal).

But after pulling the game and going dark for a couple of years, Days of War is back, has been substantially revised, undergone more development testing, and will finally leave "early access" on 30th January 2020!

I haven't fps gamed properly for months so I'm a poor judge.  But for an hour or so I did one of their beta's just before Christmas.  There were inevitable bugs, but as an old style shooter, it seemed quite playable.  The couple of beta maps, town based scenarios, seemed quite well thought out  (there will be a map editor allowing community design, but that will only work if the game has a community, and since they killed their Kickstarter promised forums in favour of steam ....).  Bunnyhoppy stuff that plagues and ruins Battalion wasn't a big concern.  Recoil of guns, especially the heavy MGs would take a lot of skill to master, making them almost impossible for run and gun, but it didn't seem too unbalanced in favour of sniper / rifle accuracy.

I suspect the game won't gain traction.  It's been too long in the doldrums.  But for those that did purchase it, once out, may be worth looking at again to see what you think. 

Offline Ramrod

• [NTHW] Clan
« Reply #53 on: 24 January 2020, 11:49: AM »
Good info MGP. Thank you :)
I'll keep an eye on this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal